Your wedding day is one of the most important life events you will have, and your first dance will play a big part of that day! These 10 tips will help you to have a fun and easy experience while entertaining your guests as well!
1. You don't need dance experience for a first dance! We've all seen the reality dance shows on tv! You don't need prior dance experience or be a gymnast to do your first dance...just you and your partner and a willingness to have fun and enjoy yourselves!
2. Get the party started! As a professional dance instructor an performer I've found that audiences begin to lose interest in a performance at about the 2:30 minute mark. If your first dance song in longer than that don't worry! I suggest that you invite your guests to join you on the dance floor and while everyone is up ask the dj to fade into something HOT! That should keep everyone up on the floor to get the party started.
3. Practice makes perfect! Even professional dancers don't just "wing it". Take some lessons from a pro and then push back the rugs and sofa and practice! Dancing is really a matter of "muscle memory". The idea is that repetitive movement makes the body remember so the brain doesn't have to. Kind of like learning to ride a bike. Once you know how your never forget. Don't force your guests to watch 3 minutes of the high school prom dance!
4. Rehearse in your shoes! You don't have to wear them the whole time you are preparing for your first dance, but somewhere near the end you both should practice in the shoes you are going to wear that day. I had one bride how found her shoes where so uncomfortable to dance in she ordered a pair a 1/2 size up...she was able to change shoes because she left enough time to try the first pair out! Don't have a shoe emergency at the last minute!
5. Reconnect with your partner. It can get pretty hectic leading up to the big day with all the details and all...Having some lessons with your partner gives you a chance to reconnect and share some romantic time with your partner as well as giving you confidence on the dance floor!
6. Keep it simple and fun! You don't want to worry about memorizing a lone and elaborate routine...I recommend that you learn how to dance several basic steps WELL and have a few tricks to mix in...Usually a strong entrance...something cool in the middle and a romantic dip at the end with some strong dancing to fill in will wow your guests and make your day easier!
7. Forget the flaws! Don't worry about making mistakes...nobody knows your routine but you. If you don't telegraph the mistake by pulling an "OH NO" face, your guests won't even realize anything happened. Guys, lead the way and enjoy your first dance...flaws and all!
8. Your first dance song should be meaningful to the both of you! Don't worry if it's not the latest and greatest on the radio. Don't worry if everyone doesn't know who the artist is...pick something that makes you think of each other and that your both enjoy!
I hope these tips will help you to have an enjoyable, easy and stress free time of preparing your first dance. Remember...this is a small part of a big day so just have fun and go with it!